Prof. Malay Kanti Ghosh is a Professor at the Marine Engineering Department of The
Eden Tolly Lake side, Block – A, Flat – 4D,
319, M.G. Road, Kolkata – 700104.
Academic Records & Professional Achievements
- Retired on superannuation as Director, Indian Maritime University - Kolkata campus , a Central University under Union Ministry of Shipping, Govt. of India on 30th November 2016. I was serving as Director, IMU – Kolkata Campus since 1st. October 2010.
- On the recommendation of Union Public Service Commission , I was appointed in the post of Engineer Officer- Group ‘A’ Post ( Technical) in the Central Service in Directorate of Marine Engineering Training (DMET) under Ministry of Shipping, Govt. of India, on 17TH August 1993.
- Passed B. Sc. examination from University of Calcutta with Distinction in 1974.
- Completed 4 years Marine Engineering training in 1976 and obtained First Class Certificate of Competency ( Motor)- a highest degree in Marine Engineering in management level, in 1982.
- Upon the recommendation of Senate of I.I.T. - Khargpur, Post Graduate Diploma in Maritime Operation and Management ( PGDMOM), , was conferred on me in the academic year 2004-2005.
- I had about fifteen years of sailing experience, out of which, five years as Chief Engineer in various National Flag & Foreign Flag merchant vessels, before I joined DMET in 1993.
- Had about 23 years of Teaching experience in MERI (Kolkata), MERI ( Mumbai) and Indian Maritime University.
- Over the years I worked as an academician and able administrator and has won appreciation of my superior, Ministry of Shipping and IMU competent authority.
- I was a member of(i) Executive Council (ii) Academic council (ii) Court (iii) Finance committee (iv) Selection Committee for recruitment of officer, faculty and staff (v)Syllabus revision committee of Indian Maritime University .
- Was External Examiner for DGShipping controlled Certificate of Competency (COC) examination ( Engineering).
- Was External Examiner for M.Tech in Naval Architecture and Ocean Engineering examination conducted by Naval Architecture and Ocean Engineering Department, IIT, Kharagpur.
- Member of the Research Support Group( RFD) of Ministry of Shipping, Govt. of India. For the year 2013-2014.
- Was instrumental in developing and execution of number of Management Developing Program for Major Ports of India, Govt. of West Bengal, various Maritime Boards, Andaman and Lakshwadeep Harbour Works etc.
- Was specially commended by IMU Headquarter and Ministry of shipping for execution of number of very important consultancy projects ,such as
- Research Study on ‘ Improvement of Port Efficiency and Support from Private Sector’ for World Trade Center, Mumbai. Union Minister of Shipping specially commended IMU- Kolkata Campus for such a valuable research report.
- Selection of 13 categories of officer for New Mangalore Port Trust.
Membership / Fellowship of Learned Societies :-
- Fellow of Institute of Marine Engineers (India)
- Member of Institute of Engineers (India)
- Chartered Engineer (India)
Present Responsibilities at SOMS, TNU.
- H.O.D. MRE, School of Maritime Studies, TNU.
- O.I.C. Hostel, SOMS, TNU.